A Universe of Stories:
Cole Library Summer Reading Program
Summer Reading Program:
Keep the whole family reading this summer with Cole Library’s Summer Reading Program. This year, we have 2 different programs: Children and Teen (middle & high school).
Children’s Summer Reading Program:
- Summer Reading has begun! The theme this year is A Universe of Stories. Sign at the 1st floor circulation desk to get a reading log and stickers. For every 30 minutes a child reads, or a guardian reads to a child, put a sticker on a star on the log. Once all the stars are covered, bring in your completed reading log to receive this year’s awesome Summer Reading t-shirt!
Teen Summer Reading Program
- The Teen Summer Reading Program is a great way to celebrate reading throughout the summer. Designed for 5th/6th – 12th graders, sign up any time at the first floor circulation desk. Pick up a log and record the number of pages you read. Once you reach 750 pages, come to the library and select a book from our prize shelf. You can repeat the process as many times as you read 750 pages! The Teen Summer Reading program runs through August 16.
Be a Winner at the Library: High School Summer Scratch-Off Event
Are you in high school? Do you love winning free stuff? From June 6– July 31, Cole Library is offering Library Scratch-Off Tickets to high school students. Once per day, show your ID at the first floor circulation desk and receive a ticket with a chance to win a gift certificate from a Mount Vernon business.
If you have any questions, contact Grace Chamberlain Rowray at 319-895-5940 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday Morning Movies:
Beginning June 10th, each Monday morning at 10 a.m. Cole Library will host Monday Morning Movies in Room 108. The library will show a feature G or PG rated movie. Mount Vernon Bank and Trust is sponsoring this program. Each person in attendance will get a free popcorn and drink.
- June 10 – The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part
- June 17 – How to Train Your Dragon
- June 24 – Nancy Drew and the Secret of the Hidden Staircase
- July 1 – Mary Poppins Returns
- July 8 – Kim Possible
- July 15 – Apollo 13
- July 22 – Wonder Park
- July 29 – Big Hero 6
- August 5 – Bernie the Dolphin
Come build and play at Lego Club! Starting June 11th, Lego Club meets every Tuesday, 10:00-11:00 a.m., on the 2nd floor. No sign up required, just show up to take part.
In August, Summer Lego Club transitions to our regular, school-year Lego Club. Please be aware of these upcoming changes:
- August 6, 10:00-11:00 a.m., 2nd floor
- August 13, 10:00-11:00 a.m., 2nd floor
- August 20 – NO LEGO CLUB
- August 27, 3:30-4:30 p.m., Room 108
ALL WEDNESDAY WORKSHOPS ARE CURRENTLY FULL
Let your creativity run wild at our weekly STEAM program. Wednesday Workshops are held every Wednesday at 10:00-11:00am and 11:00am-12:00pm, June 12 – July 31st. There are only 2o slots available per session, so please RSVP to 895-4271 to reserve a seat.
• June 12th: Color-Changing Chameleons
• June 19th: NO Wednesday Workshop – Iowa Raptor Center progam
• June 26th: Galaxy Slime
• July 3rd: Lady Liberty Crowns
• July 10th: Rockets
• July 17th: Bubble Printing + Outside bubbles
• July 24th: Moon Phases Wreaths
• July 31st: Kaleidoscopes
Iowa Raptor Project:
Wednesday, June 19 at 10:00am on the 2nd floor
The Iowa Raptor Project will bring 2 birds of prey to Cole Library. We will meet and learn about their habitats and needs..
Iowa Animals with Indian Creek Nature Center:
Tuesday, July 9 at 10:00am on the 2nd floor
Indian Creek Nature Center naturalist, Andria Cossolotto, will share live Iowa animals with the library.
Blank Park Zoo
Thursday, July 25 at 1:00pm on the 2nd floor
The Blank Park Zoo will present their summer program Otherworldly Animal Adaptions. Come and meet these zoo animals and learn about all the ways they adapt.
Summer Board Game Camp:
Bring a fun idea to life with the Summer Board Game Camp! Try different board games to learn about the different ways to play. Create your own game by drawing, cutting, coloring, and measuring your own pieces. Test your game with other campers. Learn how to make your game better by listening to others and challenging yourself. For kids ages 10-15.
Board Game Camp is a two week program meeting:
Monday, July 15 – Wednesday, July 17
& Monday, July 22 – Wednesday, July 24
Only 12 spots available. RSVP to 895-4271 reserve your spot.